I have a SHIT ton.
Parents, teachers, they're always telling us to "reach for the stars". Well, what happens when your hands get full? I'm finding out it takes many trips to the stars to capture all of them.
I want to do so many things in my life.
- Become a Vet
- Drive a Mary Kay Car
- Start a Family
- Fit into my jeans
- Go to a Katy Perry Concert
- Make enough money to pay for my study abroad so my parents don't have to
- Go to a Starbucks in every State
- Have a 4.0 at least one semester
- Have my own horse
I fully believe I can accomplish every single one of these goals. However long it takes, I'm willing to try. One thing that gets me is that I get so bogged down in my day to day college student stress that I forget these goals. Poof. Just like that, and I'm curled up in my bed wasting an entire afternoon watching television. It's my escape. Journeying to that alternate world lets me escape the "stresses" and "problems" of my own. Sometimes I forget how truly blessed I am. The fact that I even have all of these goals says something about how I was raised, and how I was taught to believe I can have all the stars I want.
I guess the key, is breaking down each goal into a manageable set of pre-goals. Lets be honest, It's not like I'm going to wake up one day and have three kids. That would be scary. I guess the first step to that one is finding a Man...hmph. Some of my goals can be accomplished in a month, a semester. Others, like becoming a Vet will take the next 6 years of my life. But I'm OK with that. Because to me, it's worth it. It's worth 6 more years of fighting for my profession every single day. Six more years of working my ass off, all to have to work my ass off even harder once I actually accomplish my goal. Hell, with all this ass-working-off, you would think I would fit into my jeans already!
I want to take a second and talk about my Mary Kay business. I can honestly say that it is one of the better things that has happened to me in the past few years. Running my own business is hard, don't get me wrong. But I love it. I love that I can touch women's lives every day. I love that I can make people feel better about themselves with one facial. I love that a product I sell and back one hundred percent is a part of women's every day routines. Contrary to what most think, college is not just one beer soaked frat party after another. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of those, but it's what goes on in-between that can make or break you. Being involved in Mary Kay has taught me the time managing, goal orientation, and self confidence that helps me get through the week. Well that, and a mild anti anxiety medication. But seriously. If I didn't have this business to keep me grounded and focused, I don't think I would be doing as well in school this semester. I feel like for the first time in College, I have total control over my studies, my social life, and my financial status. Being a Mary Kay Independent Senior Beauty Consultant has a lot to do with that. Being pre-vet, you are told every day that most of the people in the class you are in won't actually make it to vet school. While realistic, that is something that is a huge blow to the confidence. It can really wear you down and make you doubt everything you are paying thousands of dollars to do. With Mary Kay though, it's the opposite. I am always being told by my fabulous Sales Director that I can do more than I think I can. That I will accomplish anything I set out to do. There really is nothing better than being told you can accomplish your goals. You can't put a price on self confidence.
Like I said earlier, it's breaking down your goals that is the key to being successful. You can't expect to magically accomplish all of your goals over night. It's a process. And yeah, sometimes your goals are going to turn into tasks, which are going to turn into hassles. But I have to remember to not lose sight of the big picture. I may not want to memorize the physiology behind hearing and tasting, but you know what? It's gonna be on my final so I don't really have a choice. Because, that final is a smaller part of my goal to become a Vet. Baby steps. Toddler steps. Kindergarten Steps...you get the picture.
One thing I thought of today was:
Don't do something because it's a task that you have to get done. Do it because it's a goal you want to accomplish.
I'm off to accomplish my goals.
With love and ambition,
Rebecca
Becca, you are amazing. I've been having a really hard time this semester because I am overwhelmed with homework, work, and trying to have a social life. I decided I wanted to go home and just settle for something else, but then I realized that I am here living my dream. I read this and was thinking,'I am an idiot'. I have gotten so deterred by homework and the amount of effort that I have to constantly put forth that I forget why I'm here. Getting a degree in marine biology has been my life's goal and I have the opportunity to achieve that. I realize now that I have been taking that for granted. I have been doubting myself a lot. Thanks for helping me realize that I'm only looking at the big picture and not what is happening now. I got it- one baby step at a time, starting with my chemistry lab practical tomorrow. Thank you Becca this helped a lot.
ReplyDelete