Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A little reminder of spring

As I was booking it back to my dorm in between my biology study session and band, I walked past a patch of grass and noticed something odd. First of all, it was odd to see grass in the first place, considering Columbia got about 9 inches of snow last week and it's not going anywhere fast. However, in front of the Natural Resources building there was a patch of grass that had all the snow melted away on it. How this happened, I have no clue. Maybe a heating vent nearby? Anyways, the little patch of hope among the white abyss that is our campus contained something even more surprising. Rabbits. Yes, I know rabbits aren't a surprising animal to see in Missouri, but there were a few things about these rabbits that made them special. One, they were out in the winter. In the summer and fall there are rabbits all over campus, but they usually disappear by the time Christmas rolls around. Second, when I walked past, these three continued eating their precious patch of grass instead of bolting away as was usual. I mean, so would I if I had their prime real estate. It was just one of those things that makes you slow down and "smell the roses"...or rather watch the rabbits. Not only that, but it instilled that glimmer of hope that spring brings, and reminded me that the snow will all melt eventually, and we won't have to dress like we live in antarctica anymore.

1 comment:

  1. No more bundling up would be great. But I understand the glimmer of hope. That better things will come.

    ReplyDelete