Monday, February 28, 2011

Walking

In college you spend a lot of time walking.
Walking to class.
Walking to get a meal.
Walking to the rec center.
Walking to the union to study or get Starbucks.
Walking.

You can learn a lot about someone by how they walk.
You have the jocks. Their swag is undeniable. That, and the fact that they are usually a foot taller than me. They can saunter up to almost anyone, do the whole fist-bump hug thing, and bam- a whole conversation just happened.
Then there are the sorostitutes. Trying to see how thin of leggings they can get away with under their not long enough t-shirts and well worn in ugg boots. You can usually tell how their night went by the size of sun glasses they are wearing and type of coffee they are drinking.
There are the music-listeners. They walk around with their earbuds in, oblivious to the world around them. I could never do that, I would be afraid of missing the key sounds of an upcoming bus or biker. I like to be very aware of my surroundings.
The people who talk loudly on their phones, not caring who hears about their personal problems or what shit went down the night before. I admit, I have been one of these before. There's something exciting about having a cryptic conversation with someone that no one around you knows. It's exciting.

On my way to starbucks this morning I noticed a few things.
A girl (I'll admit she was a bit on the large side) walked by me and the only part of her conversation that I heard was "...big greasy burgers and fries..." I'm sorry but I couldn't help but chuckle a bit.
I get very impatient when walking behind slow people.
Sometimes when I'm really bored, I make it a race between me and the person I'm walking next to.
I like to make up scenarios for people I see, making them have their own story.
Most of the time I have a song stuck in my head and I will walk to the beat of it, yet another reason why I can't listen to my iPod when I walk.
I hate it when girls have worn in their ugg boots so much that they are all bent in the back and they look like they are walking on their ankles. Freaking pick up your feet people.
When people smoke and are walking in front of me I always have the urge to remind them that they are going to get cancer but instead I settle for coughing loudly as I pass them.
I don't like making eye contact with people as I walk past them. I get intimidated easily by people I don't know.

Walking. I spend a lot of time walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment